How to Understand Moving Costs
Money is a big factor when moving because moving is not cheap. Preparing your budget is a must and you should know how much money you can spend on the upcoming relocation and how much it will cost to move items from one home to another. Unfortunately, these transportation costs are not the only cost you will have when changing the address. Understand the moving costs in advance and then, nothing can surprise you.
What to know about the moving costs?
Moving locally or moving long-distance, there is no free moving. What is included in the price and are there some ways to know moving costs in advance? How much money will you spend on moving depends on many different factors? The average cost of a local relocation is around $1,250 while a long-distance move can cost $5,000.
This price is not fixed. Factors that affect that price are:
- Travel fees if you are moving long-distance. Buying a plane ticket, or paying for gas.
- Size and weight of your move. If you want to save money, then move less stuff.
- Hiring packing professionals costs more than packing by yourself.
- Buying packing materials and supplies as well as renting moving equipment.
- Distance between your current home and future home.
- Renting storage when moving or after moving.
- The cost of moving depends also on a moving date. Moving during the summer month tends to be more expensive.
- Insurance costs and valuation coverage. Buying insurance when moving will make your relocation safer and less stressful.
- Additional fees sometimes exist. Ask about hidden moving fees and know what to expect and what you need to pay.
Check the moving company
If you are hiring a moving company to help you move, of course, the price is one of the questions to ask. But, it is not the main factor, because many moving scammers will lower the price just to hire them. Always think about the safety first. Cheap price is not the only red flag. If the moving company asks for a too-large deposit, it can also be a red flag. Your items will be in their hands. Always check the company. Check their license number. It will take you only a couple of minutes and you can do it online on the FMCSA website.
How to get an accurate moving cost?
Knowing how much money you will need for the relocation will help you set a moving budget. How to get an accurate moving estimate? Online estimates are available but they are not the best in this case. Ask a moving company for an in-home moving estimate and an estimator will come to see all the items you need to move and to take inventory. Based on that list, other factors, and additional fees, you will get the right moving cost in advance.